Pillar four: Environment
We are continuing to implement our ISO 14001 certification programmes across Compass Group UK & Ireland.
As part of the largest food service and support services business in the world, Compass Group recognises that it can, and does, have a significant environmental impact as a consequence of activities associated with its operations, products and services.
Our suppliers and contractors play a critical role in our approach to minimising, and wherever appropriate, improving environmental impacts associated with our business.
At the majority of our client operating locations we are not directly responsible for the procurement of utilities, equipment, fuel, etc. However, we work closely with our clients to consider how best to improve the environmental performance of our operations and help them deliver their own environmental strategies.
Working with our clients we have been involved with a number of initiatives to:
- Reduce the water and energy used in our principal office and production units
- Reduce the CO2 emissions of our vehicle fleets
- Reduce the waste packaging of our supply chain
- Track, measure and reduce the volume of office waste (i.e. card, paper, plastic and metal)
- Reduce food miles by increasing the use of seasonally available products sourced from the relevant domestic markets
- Increase the volume of recycled used cooking oil
- Increase the volume of biodegradable and compostable disposables
- Increase the number of sites with ISO 14001 accreditation.
In October 2007, Compass Group PLC introduced a web-based reporting tool to track and report globally the following in a consistent manner:
- Petrol and diesel used by company cars and fleet vehicles
- Directly purchased electricity (including CO2 emissions) in relation to our main office locations across the Group's ten most developed countries
- Volume of general office waste generated per annum.
Find out more about our commitment to reducing climate change, carbon emissions and waste by downloading our Corporate Responsibility Framework.
Share this page
Post a link to this page here